Saturday, February 23, 2008

From Caterpillar to Butterfly

Well, I told you I probably would and I did it. I changed the heading again! It doesn't have the snappy ring of "Surviving Reality" but it's the next step. "Thriving reality" is a state of being, a state of grace, a stage in life. In order to move from one stage to the next, be it victim, survivor or thriver, we have to grieve the last stage, let it go and move on. It's a never-ending process.

Here's a little poem I wrote about it:

Does the caterpillar know
when it’s turned into a butterfly?
Does it mourn its
flat-footed groundedness
when it’s flying through the air?
Those wings, like arms of a
royal robe, opening and closing,
decreeing, celebrating, does
the butterfly know that it is now
what it was not?

And how, with time,
we must all detach
from the chrysalis that
incubates our future selves.
How, before long, life’s womb
spits us out and sends us flying
into the air of change?
Some would cling to the cocoon
forever but the cocoon fades, too,
and soon becomes a grave.
We might as well release the cast
that holds us to the ground.

Grieve the caterpillar.
Fly.

2 comments:

cyberlarson said...

Beautiful Poem

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen,
I was fascinated by your poem.The struggle of the caterpillar has always been an interest to me. Here is a poem I wrote a few years ago:
Metamorphosis

O worm that I am
Earthbound, purposeless
Confined and limited
In all my ways
O the humiliation
Of this confinement
Of this unbearable struggle
To be released.

May this cocoon of your dealings
Not be considered strange
Nor hinder my quest for flight
But rather the channel
From which will emerge
The exquisite beauty
Designed by Creator God.

Marg Nickel